POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Not that you wanted to know, but here you go. ;) By the way, my stool updates are based on the Bristol Scale, which is a medical classification for the type of poo you happen to be experiencing at any given time.  No I don’t have a poo fetish or anything.  I just think it’s funny.  Oh, and much of this stuff is quite interesting and informative as well. :D

***

Human feces, or faeces, also known as stools, vary significantly in appearance, depending on the state of the whole digestive system, influenced by diet and health. Normally they are semisolid, with mucus coating. Small pieces of harder, less moist feces can sometimes be seen impacted on the distal end (a normal occurrence when a prior bowel movement is incomplete, and feces is returned from the rectum to the intestine, where water is absorbed).

Meconium (sometimes erroneously spelled merconium) is a newborn baby’s first feces.

Due to its taboo, feces is a subject of toilet humour.

Approximately 75% of an ordinary sample of human feces is water. This percentage changes; diarrhoea has more water than average and the longer the piece is in the bowels, the more water is taken out. Of the remaining 25%, 1/3 (or about 1/12 of the whole) is dead bacteria. Another 1/3 of the remaining quarter is indigestible food, such as cellulose.

In humans, defecation may occur (depending on the individual and the circumstances) from once every two or three days to several times a day. Hardening of the feces may cause prolonged interruption in the routine and is called constipation.

Human fecal matter varies significantly in appearance, depending on diet and health. Normally it is semisolid, with a mucus coating. Its brown coloration comes from a combination of bile and bilirubin, which come from dead red blood cells.

In newborn babies, fecal matter is initially yellow/green after the meconium. This coloration comes from the presence of bile alone. In time, as the body starts expelling bilirubin from dead red blood cells, it acquires its familiar brown appearance, unless the baby is breast feeding, in which case it remains soft, pale yellowish, and not-unpleasantly scented until the baby begins to eat significant amounts of other food.

Throughout the life of an ordinary human, one may experience many types of feces. A “green” stool is from rapid transit of feces through the intestines (or the consumption of certain blue or green food dyes in quantity), and “clay-like” appearance to the feces is the result of a lack of bilirubin.

Bile overload is very rare, and not a health threat. Problems as simple as serious diarrhea can cause blood in one’s stool, turning it black. Black stools caused by blood usually indicate a problem in the intestines (the black blood is digested), whereas red streaks of blood in stool are usually caused by bleeding in the rectum or anus.

Food may sometimes make an appearance in the feces. Common undigested foods found in human feces are seeds, nuts, corn and beans, mainly because of their high fiber content.

The distinctive odor of feces is due to bacterial action. Gut flora produce compounds such as indole, skatole, and thiols (sulfur containing compounds), as well as the inorganic gas hydrogen sulfide. These are the same compounds that are responsible for the odor of flatulence. Consumption of foods with spices may result in the spices being undigested and adding to the odor of feces. Certain commercial products exist that can reduce the odor of feces.

  (Current Mood: amusedamused)